Monday, October 4, 2010

What's In The Mix

I wrote a previous blog about product ingredients, after attending a seminar entitled "What's In Your Hair Care Products." I don't know why, but attending that seminar really made an impression on me.

Well, I know part of the reason why: I heard the word "cancer" several times. There's been a LOT of cancer in my family. A lot.

So now, I pay more attention to ingredients. I pay more attention to side effects listed in these drug commercials. I was just watching one for this new drug called Stel.ara. They straight up said that this drug may cause you to get tuberculosis, or even worse - cancer. HUH? Isn't this supposed to be helping you heal?

The other day, iHerb posted a tweet about 8 ingredients to avoid. I was already familiar as I had talked about these same ingredients earlier this year. I re-tweeted the link and said something to the effect of, "your beauty is important, but your health is more important."

A fellow tweeter basically said, that's all well and good, but I just have to trust that I'm under the grace of God.

Hmmm. OK.

I don't know how I feel about that. This happened shortly before my hiatus, and with everything going down with my dad, I really didn't get to respond to her. But, I think God would want us to do better. When you know better, you do better. Hey - nobody's perfect. Pedicures are still my weakness. I have yet to make a move to get any toluene-free polish. :::scratches another entry on to-do list::: But, I think He put a lot of plants and botanicals on this earth that we can use to take care of ourselves, and we've just taken it to the next level with all the synthetics.

Take deodorant, for example. I still struggle with this because I just sweat like a pig. There's really no other way to put it. I struggle with getting natural deodorants to work with me, because they are NOT anti-perspirants. They are deodorants. But anywho - one of the things I noticed when I was using The Crystal regularly, is that the hair under my arms grew in faster! I thought I was crazy. I mentioned it to my friend Kenya, and she just gave me her usual "um...duh!" look. LOL!

So that got me to thinking: wouldn't the same follow for the follicles on my head? We hear people focusing on growing their hair and complaining about its health, but they are probably hindering it with the very things they're putting on their scalps to try and make it grow. I don't know. I see people whose hair is thriving and they don't care about ingredients. Which is perfectly fine. My scalp, on the other hand, was not thriving - so I decided to make a change.

I guess I'm a Natural Ingredients Na.zi. So be it. I'll take that label.

I just want to pass on information I feel strongly about. If people don't agree with me, then so be it. I've said my piece. And I'll keep saying it. If it helps one person, then I did what I was supposed to do. :)

No comments: