Friday, June 5, 2009

You Must Learn!

Y'all remember that song from BDP?

Anyway, those three words are so true. We have the internet at our finger tips. You don't even have to leave the house to go to the library. You can learn about anything and everything on there! You want to know about something? Surf the web while you're (half) watching tv. There are websites for just about everything.

That being said, I totally believe that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. People ask me questions all the time regarding hair care, and weight loss/exercise,and other subjects. At first, I used to give all the answers. I used to spoon feed everything. Well, the spoon has been put back in the drawer. I will provide websites, but I'm not looking up the threads for you. I'm not explaining the difference between protein conditioners and moisturizing conditioners. I cannot physically come to your house and hold your hand, and walk you over to the treadmill and put you on it. I'm not going to clean up your credit report for you - go to Creditboards and learn how to do it. At this point, I'm going to take folks to the river, but it's gonna be up to them to stick out their tongues and lap up the goodness.

Maybe it's just me, but I find I have more appreciation for the things I have taken the time to learn on my own. The best part is, once you have that knowledge, no one can take it away from you! It sticks with you. If you face that situation again, you'll know what to do.

Now, that being said, I know the difference between folks who will take the tidbits I give them and do more research, and the folks who just want me to tell them what to do. The first set of people will get my advice with no problem. I know they are honestly wanting to work to do better. The rest of 'em? Pound sand! If you are able-bodied and literate, you can do the same research I did. Heck, you might find even better information than I did!

Reading is fundamental. We can do it! It's time to stop being lazy.

/rant

2 comments:

Au Naptural said...

Ha! I'm a Wiki/Google/YouTube freak.

Thank you for this rant. What's that Chinese Proverb? Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I'll understand.

Sometimes you start to feel like a broken record with folks. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I started my hair blog and post vids on YouTube. I tell folks to use them as references. There are links on my site and related vids on YT. Everything you want to know is connected. That's why it's called the world wide WEB. LOL! The researcher in me despises folks who always want to be spoon-fed information.

Phew! Sorry to blog in your comment section. :-)

Marilie said...

Girl, blog away! Maybe it's just because I'm nosy, but I just LIKE to research things. I'm about to give away some samples of HairVeda products I have. Now even though I've sent the person to the website, which has info on how to use each product and what it's for, I guarantee I will get questions such as, "well how do I use this?" Dude...seriously? LOL!