Saturday, June 6, 2009

Four point five

Yesterday, we had our office cookout at my team leader's house. I couldn't eat the hot dogs, the baked beans, or one of the salads there, because they all had pork. I know this is the south and everything, but could we get some more variety on the menu? Get chicken hot dogs! Something! Luckily they had hamburgers, so I had one of those, and some three bean salad (I think that's what it was), and some chips. I went back for a second helping, and then accidentally knocked over my plate while we were playing Uno. I guess that was Yah's way of telling me to skip it.

They let us leave the cook out at 3:00. I really wanted to go home and chill, but I knew I had not practiced the best eating habits this week, so I made myself work out. I didn't lift weights on Monday or Wednesday, trying to let my knee have a break. I was determined to get some weights in, so I took some 800 mg Motrin and pressed on. I was gentle on the legs, though. When I finished lifting, I looked at that treadmill and started drumming up excuses for NOT doing the cardio. But I knew I had no choice.

I jumped on and started my five minute warm up (walking). Started my jog, and about 10 minutes into it, I was talking myself out of running for the 40 minutes I had planned. Friday is usually my longest run of the week. I made myself press on.

In the end, I jogged for 50 minutes 38 secs, for a total of 4.5 miles.

That's the longest distance I've jogged at one time, since I started working out in the fall. I probably could have been there already, but for the bronchitis in February/March, and the ear infection in April. I'm so glad I kept jogging and didn't give up.

I would like to get down to a 10 minute mile...anything faster than that will be bonus, but I at least need to get to 10 minutes. That will enable me to run a 5K in 30 minutes or less. I started working out for weight loss and health...but now I'm starting to push myself to meet goals, just like I did in high school.

I can't wait to get my speed up, because then I won't have to jog as long to hit the same distances. I'm working my way towards the 11 minute mile right now. I know that's slow for the folks who run on a regular basis, but that's fast for me! I was always a sprinter in high school, so frankly, I'm amazed that I'm even jogging these distances. LOL!

I need to work on my flexibility, and I think that will help with my knees as well. I'd like to find a pilates class here. The question is, when would I have time to go? I guess I would just make time.

The only bad news is that the cellulite seems to be here to say. :( I don't know how much fat I need to burn to get it to fade, but obviously I'm not burning enough! Ah well.

Anywho, if you've set exercise goals for yourself, I wish you well! If you haven't started exercising yet, get out and move! Even if you walk around the block with your kids or the dog, it's exercise. You don't have to go to the gym to get a workout. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duly noted. I'll see if I can get some exercise in today.
S23

Au Naptural said...

10 min miles are nothing to sneeze at in my book. You can do it! Take care of that knee, though.

Marilie said...

@ S23 - I'm thinking that keeping up with Tyler is exercise in itself, lol. But yeah, even a walk around the block helps to relieve tension and ge the blood flowing.

@ Au Naptural - I'm working my way towards it. They say not to increase your distance or speed more than 10% each week. I am very slowly increasing speed. Last fall I walked the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure...we said we were going to run it this year. I don't know how close the other women are to this goal, but I think I can do it. :)