Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Beauty Tip of the Day - Coconut Oil

This one is short and sweet - and it's related to hair care AND skin care. :)

I don't profess to be the expert when it comes to all things hair, and especially NOT an expert when it comes to skin. My skin and I have a love/hate relationship. The smallest changes wreak havoc. Between the stress of the summer (break up of a relationship), and change in medication, my skin decided to take a hiatus from being healthy. My face, my back, my shoulders, my chest...all broke out. But that's another blog. For now, I'm going to tell you about coconut oil.

Coconut oil is FREAKIN'. AWESOME. It is a moisturizing oil, but it can also be used as a sealant on your hair. Sealing your hair is the process of moisturizing your hair with a water based moisturizer, and then using oil to "seal" in that moisture, so you don't use the benefits. You can also use coconut oil on your skin. It is an excellent moisturizer. Coconut oil will turn solid in lower temperatures, and will liquify in warmer temperatures. If it's soild, scoop some out into your hand - your body heat will begin to immediately liquify it. It is lighter than shea butter (my other love) and much easier to spread. It's a great oil to use for massage. I've had enough foot rubs in the past week to testify to this...

Here is a great article on the benefits of coconut oil for your hair and skin. This is the scientific breakdown that I can't give you...once you read this, your understanding of the benefits of coconut oil will be "forever and consistently broke" (all my love jones fans know that line, lol).

Coconut oil is also a major ingredient in Ayurvedic hair care. I have a mostly Ayurvedic regimen going now, and I love it. Coconut oil and sesame oil are the base oils for most Ayurvedic mixtures. Ayurvedic health care originated in India, but is becoming more and more popular around the world. To find out more about Ayurveda in general, click here. There is more to come on this subject - stay tuned for a blog about my specific Ayurveda hair care regimen.

To sum up, coconut oil is a great multi-use oil. Whether on skin or hair, I think you'll find the benefits to be great. I haven't bought regular lotion in months. Try it and see! Just make sure that the coconut oil you buy is unrefined coconut oil. The refining process removes all of the benefits.

No comments: