Sunday, October 23, 2011

Dear Grandma...


It's hard to believe you passed away a year ago today. You made it through 99 years on this earth. I'm 36 and some days I just feel tired. But I think sometimes our technology and advances have served to make our lives a little more difficult. You kept it simple: God and your family.

At Thanksgiving, Pam and I try to recreate your sweet potato pies. Uncle Gene says we've done a good job so far. He's also put in his 2 cents about what we need to do or what we could do. That's your son, the retired chef. :) We know it's not exactly like your pies, but I don't think Thanksgiving would be Thanksgiving without those pies on the dessert table.

Mom seems to be doing much better. I know that she still misses you and Dad a great deal. Speaking of Dad, can you tell him hello for me? And give him a great big hug and kiss and tell him we really miss him. Today is Sunday, and this was usually the day that he and I would talk for an hour or so. I still laugh about the Sunday he tried to trick me into having LDR bring him some ox tails...knowing he could not have it. I almost wish we had given it to him anyway.


(Grandma ans a few of her brothers - date unknown)

You managed to outlive all of your brothers. I wonder if you are with them now. Or with Uncle Rafe or Aunt Lennie. I hope so. Then that means we have a whole extended network of family watching over us.

I am still working on that family tree project. I hope I can find some more of your family that we haven't met yet. Maybe they can come to the next family reunion.

Well, I just wanted you to know that we missed you. Our lives have been changed but we carry on. We hope you're looking down and that you're proud.

--C

3 comments:

This One Woman said...

This is beautiful. I'm sure she is very proud. :)

Unknown said...

Hi C! That's very sweet. My Grandma lived until 95 and died many years ago now, but I still miss her.

When I look in the mirror, I think I am starting to look a little like my Grandma. This does not bother me, as I'm going to have to look like someone when I get older--and it may as well be my favorite person.

Btw, my Grandma also made pies. She won many county fair ribbons for them in North Dakota.

:-) Marion

Neev said...

You made me cry! I remember your dad trying to get those oxtails, that was the funniest thing! I've been writing a letter like this for 3 years and still haven't gotten to it.