Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Still Sick...and Other Randomness

So, I'm still sick. I got sick Christmas Eve, with what I thought would be a simple cold. It morphed into bronchitis and sinusitis. I went to the EENT (ear/eye/nose/throat) doc on 1/5 when I returned from Atlanta. He gave me an Rx for an antibiotic called Cefdinir. I believe this is what they gave me when I had my ear infection last year. Needless to say, I was not amused, because I hate taking antibiotics. I get the two main side effects every time - disruption of the digestive process, and disruption of the good bacteria...you know what that leads to.

I took my Cefdinir for 10 days and felt like I was getting better. I had a slight cough, but I wasn't waking up in the middle of the night with coughing fits, or coughing up the yucky stuff. I was still able to go running on 1/18 and 1/20. Both days were relatively warm for us - in the 60s, even. I was feeling great! Then Thursday set in, and suddenly the cough was getting more aggressive. By Friday I KNEW it was coming back with a vengeance. I had planned to get up on Saturday (1/23) and do a 5 mile run that morning. Needless to say, I woke up hacking up phlegm and and lung, and decided that was not a good idea. Sunday, I did nothing but lounge around on my couch. I didn't leave my apartment until around 9:00 that night, and that was only at the urging of a good friend who insisted I needed Robitussin...lol. I'm sure had he lived here, he would have already brought it over to me.

Yesterday, I went back to the doctor. No wheezing in my lungs (which I already knew). This time he put me on Augmentin for 10 days, and the dreaded Prednisone for about 6-7 days. I'm not happy about either one of these things. The last time I took Prednisone, I felt like I wanted to eat my desk every day at work. I was ravenous. And of course, I ate all the wrong things. After that little adventure, I found myself not fitting in clothing that had just fit 2-3 weeks prior. Not cool! I am going to make a conscious effort to have good snacks around, like fruit and veggies, for when these cravings do start. Right now, I'm not really that hungry. My sense of smell is gone by the wayside in light of the sinus issues, so I don't have cravings or anything. I don't even want to eat. I force myself to eat because I know I have to. I had oatmeal for breakfast and I'm eating an apple now.

Another reason why I really don't like taking these drugs, is that I'm trying to remove as many synthetic things from my body as I can. Prednisone is soooo not natural and it has crazy side effects if you take it for long periods of time. I decided that with this go-round of antibiotics, I'd start taking the probiotics as well, instead of letting it all wreak havoc and THEN taking the probiotics. We'll see how this works out. I'll have to update the blog if I have success, in case anyone else has these same side effects.

A few weeks back I posted a blog on LDRs. I really do dread them, really. But I decided to look into with some caveats. I've told the person that we can absolutely spend time getting to know more about each other, but I have no plans of moving up north. None. Zero. So, if this were to truly blossom, he's gotta move. And obviously that can't be a half cocked decision. I'm actually having a good time with this. When you're not in each other's faces you HAVE to talk...you can't get so wrapped up in the physical. We talk about everything and nothing. Did I mention this is someone I've known since junior high? I think I feel more comfortable it because we know so many of the same people, I know his dad, he knows my brothers...I feel like that cuts down on the propensity for BS (although I know it can still rear it's ugly head!). We didn't interact very much back in the day. Frankly, I didn't think he noticed me much back then. I'm sure that his personality now has been shaped by life's experiences, and is different from what it was back then. I will admit I DID have some preconceived notions about him. When we started talking, it was initially about running, how I got started, why did I run the half marathon, etc. Really, simple things. But it sure wasn't anything I thought he'd be interested in. He surprises me with how much he actually LIKES to talk. We talk pretty much on a daily basis. Anywho, long story short, neither of us has said anything to the friends we have in common. I think people have an inkling...but they're sort of thinking, "y'all two? Nah." LOL! He'll be here in March (he has some family here), so we're going to hang out then. It'll be interesting to see how this ends up.

And in other GREAT, random news - my 35th birthday is tomorrow! I can't believe it. I think back to age 25 and wonder if this is where I thought I was going to be when I turned 35. The answer is, "not quite." But I'm still happy, and at the end of the day, I'm still blessed. I think 2010 will be the year when I finally learn how to get out of my own way (for real, for real), and stop blocking blessings! :)


Tazzee said...

I hope you feel better soon. I still have a slight cough and I finished my antibiotics Saturday. I'm like you - I hate taking antibiotics.

I can't wait to read about you and LDR hanging out ;-)

Marilie said...

Girl I'm working on it! This reminds me I need to take the next dose of prednisone. Booooo.

I hope LDR doesn't turn out to be a bust. We shall see! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! So sorry you are sick, but hope it passes soon. Hope you have a great birthday. Good luck in March ;)