Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hey Mr. DJ...

TwitterFriends and I were discussing music/playlists to keep you motivated while you are running or working out. I have two playlists on my iPod that are long enough to take me through a half marathon or any long distance run. I usually set the iPod to "shuffle albums" and then let it do its thing. So even though I know what songs are on there, I don't know which one is going to play next.

I tend to love old school music, so here are a couple of playlists for those who are interested (yes...I gave iTunes some serious change. But some of this I had on different CDs in my collection):

OLD SCHOOL RAP/HIP HOP PLAYLIST:
55 songs, 4.1 hours
This playlist wasn't made for running, it was just all the songs I loved. But I found that listening to a lot of these songs kept my mind occupied enough that I could still run, but I had something to think about other than how tired I was or how much I'd rather just be eating ice cream.


  • Ain't No Half Steppin' [Explicit]- Big Daddy Kane
  • Bonita Applebum - A Tribe Called Quest
  • The Bridge Is Over [Explicit] - BDP
  • Buddy - De La Soul
  • Cha Cha Cha (Explicit LP Version) - MC Lyte
  • Check The Rhime - A Tribe Called Quest
  • Chief Rocka (Explicit)- Lords of the Underground
  • Children's Story [Explicit]- Slick Rick
  • The Choice Is Yours (Revisited)- Black Sheep
  • Don't Sweat The Technique - Eric B & Rakim
  • Doowutchyalike (LP Version) - Digital Underground
  • Electric Relaxation - A Tribe Called Quest
  • Flava In Ya Ear - Craig Mack
  • Get Up Everybody - Salt-N-Pepa
  • Gittin' Funky (LP Version) - Kid N' Play
  • Hey Young World - Slick Rick
  • Hip Hop Junkies - Nice & Smooth
  • The Humpty Dance (LP Version)- Digital Underground
  • I Got It Made (Clean Version)- Special Ed
  • I Know You Got Soul - Eric B & Rakim
  • I Like It (I Wanna Be Where You Are)- Grand Puba
  • I Wish - Skee-Lo
  • It's A Shame - Monie Love
  • It Takes Two - Rob Base
  • Just A Friend [Explicit] - Biz Markie
  • Keep Rising To The Top - Doug E. Fresh
  • Kiss You Back (Single Version)- Digital Underground
  • Ladies First (LP Version)- Queen Latifah/Monie Love
  • Latifah's Had It Up To Here (Amended LP Version)- Queen Latifah
  • Looking At The Front Door - Main Source
  • Love Me Or Leave Me Alone (Explicit LP Version)- Brand Nubian
  • Ownlee Eue (LP Version) - Kwame
  • Paid In Full - Eric B & Rakim
  • Passin' Me By - The Pharcyde
  • Peaceful Journey - Heavy D & The Boyz
  • Poor Georgie (Explicit LP Version) - MC Lyte
  • Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat) (2005 Digital Remaster) (Explicit)- Diggable Planets
  • The Rhythm (LP Version)- Kwame
  • Rollin' With Kid 'N Play (LP Version) - Kid 'N Play
  • Same Song (Edit Version)- Digital Underground
  • Say No Go - De La Soul
  • Self Destruction - Stop The Violence Allstars
  • The Show - Doug E. Fresh
  • So Wat Cha Sayin' (Explicit) - EPMD
  • South Bronx [Explicit]- BDP
  • Straighten It Out (LP Version)- Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
  • They Reminisce Over You (Single Version)- Pete Rock & C.L. SMooth
  • They Want EFX - Das EFX
  • Treat 'Em Right (LP Version)- Chubb Rock
  • U.N.I.T.Y. - Queen Latifah
  • Vapors [Explicit]- Biz Markie
  • What's On Your Mind - Eric B & Rakim
  • Work It Out - Monie Love
  • You Can't See What I Can See - Heavy D. & The Boyz
  • You Gots 2 Chill [Explicit]- EPMD


80S POP/ROCK PLAYLIST:
52 songs, 3.8 hours
I'm an 80s baby...what can I say. These are not all running-paced songs, so when I do listen to this I sometimes have to hit forward.


  • Something About You - Level 42 (OK I LOVE this song and was very psyched when Anthony David re-made it in 08)
  • Human (Extended Version)- Human League
  • Things Can Only Get Better - Howard JOnes
  • Back In The High Life Again - Steve Winwood
  • The Warrior - Scandal feat. Patty Smyth (this is actually my "boost" song on Nike +)
  • Always Something There To Remind Me - Naked Eyes
  • Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson
  • Look of Love, Pt 1 - ABC
  • Abracadabra - Steve Miller Band
  • We Don't Talk Anymore - Cliff Richard (ok this is 70s - why is this on here? LOL)
  • Too Late for Goodbyes - Julian Lennon
  • Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
  • I Can Dream About You - Dan Hartman
  • Cruel Summer - Bananarama
  • Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club
  • Catch Me I'm Falling - Pretty Poison
  • She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
  • Living Years - MIke and the Mechanics
  • Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
  • I'll Be Over You - Toto
  • Promises, Promises - Naked Eyes
  • TRUE - Spandau Ballet
  • If You Don't Know Me By Now - Simply Red
  • Valerie - Steve Winwood
  • Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
  • Burning Down the House - Talking Heads
  • The Captain Of Her Heart - Double
  • No One Is To Blame - Howard Jones
  • Dont You Want Me Baby - Human League
  • Breaking Us In Two - Joe Jackson
  • Foolish Heart - Steve Perry
  • While You See A Chance - Steve Winwood
  • Who's Crying Now - Journey
  • Every Time You Go Away - Paul Young
  • In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
  • Take it on the run - REO Speedwagon
  • Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)- Journey
  • Shout - Tears for Fears
  • Roll With It Baby - Steve Winwood
  • Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
  • All I Need - Jack Wagner
  • Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes
  • Take On Me - A-ha
  • Holding Back the Years (12" Extended Mix) - Simply Red
  • Don't You (Forget About Me)- Simple Minds
  • Take My Breath Away (Love Theme from "Top Gun")- Berlin
  • In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
  • Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
  • Once In a Lifetime - Talking Heads
  • Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
  • Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears
  • I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz


So, as you can see...my musical tastes are all over the place. What I run to depends really on how I'm feeling. Some people need really high energy music. I just need something I like that will keep me entertained. Experiment - make your own playlists and share! What type of music do you listen to when you work out?

7 comments:

RhapsodyDiva said...

Now you know you gonna have me on somebody's lime.wire trying to download all these tracks. But I will get it done. Thanks for sharing.

Marilie said...

You said the L word! LOL! Nah...we will get you the tracks you want without all that.

Tazzee said...

I'm pretty sure I know most of these songs, I just don't recognize them by the title. I'll have to preview on iTunes or something.

I only have about 5 of your songs on my iPod, and none on my running list. Right now I need hype, really upbeat songs on my running list. When I become a true runner I'll be able to dial it back a bit.

Serenity3-0 said...

I don't have mine separated into a playlist. I did at one pt have one on my computer and it was ALL bounce music.. Reminds me of college. I guess it depends on my mood what I'm playing. One day I was walking to Goapelle and another day I was trying to jog to that Rhiana song "So Hard."

Marilie said...

I have over 4K songs in iTunes, most of which are on my iPod Classic. But I use my Nano for running. Syncing both iPods to the computer is a mess. I have to make sure that the Nano only syncs the songs that are checked. It was easier just to make a playlist and check all those songs and transfer it to the Nano. It it was to just randomly go through all my music, there would be slow songs and everything else. :)

MrsSaditty said...

Consider your 80s playlist JACKED!

Marilie said...

@ MrsSaditty - take it, girl! And if you have anything else to add, let me know. :)