Monday, December 7, 2009

Sometimes I Wonder...

...about random people I've had interaction with in the past. I wonder do they remember me, what affect our interaction had on them, etc. On Saturday, my group was supposed to do 7 miles in preparation for our half marathon on 12/12. It was supposed to be rainy and cold, and so the decision was made to run on Sunday. I went ahead and got 3 miles in regardless. I went out to the greenway I've mentioned before, and went in through the entrance behind my old apartment complex.

After I finished running, I drove around to where my old apartment was, and then I suddenly remembered a girl who lived upstairs from me. I lived on the first floor and she was on the third floor. I don't even remember how we started talking. I remember one day she stopped by and we talked for about 30 - 45 minutes, about nothing and everything. I think we even talked about hanging out, but it never came to fruition.

Fast forward a few months, and I kept hearing someone going up and down the stairs (the stairs were wooden...the geniuses who built the complex didn't realize how noisy that was going to be - or I guess they just didn't care). I opened the door to see who it was, and it was her. She was moving out, so she was up and down the stairs taking stuff out of her apartment. She was moving in with her mom to save money. I surely understood that. She looked like she was really in need of some help. I think all the big items had been moved, but she was still packing up that last minute miscellaneous stuff that you always get stuck with when you move: random knickknacks, paperwork, etc. I wasn't doing anything, so I offered to help. I have been in the situation where I'm moving, and people are supposed to help me, and then they just go MIA. I knew how she felt. We got the apartment vacuumed, I checked through to make sure she hadn't left anything, and helped her take the last bit of trash to the dumpster. We ended up exchanging numbers, but we never did hang out. And then shortly after she was gone, I ended up moving to Atlanta.

I cannot remember her name for the life of me. I have not thought about her in years. Driving by the old building triggered the memory. I had her info like 2 or 3 phones ago. I wonder how she's doing now. I wonder if she remembers that cloudy, dreary day. I wonder if she's ever taken the time to help someone else out, just because. She might not even remember our interaction at all. Oh well. I hope she's doing ok. I'll send some positive vibes out into the universe for her.

No comments: