Monday, December 21, 2009

It's My Thing...

As you may have noticed, the blog has been focused a lot on running lately. This was something I got into last year, but got really serious about in the last 4 months or so. Someone asked me the other day, "so what made you get started with running?"

Well, it initially started as a health decision. I know I needed to be exercising. I had some pounds/inches I wanted to lose, and I knew from past experience that nothing took it off as fast or as efficiently as running. Many times, when I don't want to get out there and practice, it is the health initiative that ultimately gets me moving.

It's also mental. I still have some unresolved issues/feelings from my last relationship. If I were really to just sit in the house and not do anything, it would be very consuming. I love my friends, because I think they have gotten me out of the house more in the last 6 months than I ever was in the year prior to that. But I still needed something more.

When I'm running, I'm challenging myself to meet new goals. I'm pushing for new PR's (PR = personal record, for those who never ran track before :lol:). I'm challenging myself - do this, beat your last time. I'm running off frustrations, aggression, sadness...all of it. It's my thing. It's how I cope. It's my free therapy.

I think the biggest thing is that I'm in control. People come and go. Jobs come and go. Relationships fizzle and end. People move in and out of your life. Unless you're doing something to push them out of your life, you don't have any control over when they leave. I can control running. I decide when and where I'm running. I control the pace and the time. If I decide to run, there's no one who can stop me and say that I can't do it. It's truly all up to ME.

I know that some folks can't wrap their minds around WHY I would want to run 13.1 miles. Or why I would go outside in the freezing cold to run, when I could be doing myriad other things. But that's ok. As long as I understand, that's all that matters. :)

1 comment:

Tazzee said...

I think 'your thing' is great. I'm excited about becoming a runner and can't wait to complete my first 5k - without walking.

My current 5k time (walking) is between 45 and 48 minutes, and right now I'm jogging at 4mph - I don't plan to run my first 5k until I think I'll be able to beat my walking time, LOL.