Monday, January 30, 2012

The Cohabitation Chronicles: Yoga Date

On Sunday morning, HH woke up and said, "we need to go to the carwash. You should come with me!"

Say what now? I don't wanna wash the stinkin' car! I've been driving around with a dirty car since before you got here, and I'm pretty ok with that. LOL!

Then the idea popped into my head, and I said, "ok - I'll go to the car wash with you, if you come to yoga with me this afternoon."

HH: Is this how it's gonna be? Every time I ask you to do somethin', then I gotta do somethin'?

Me: Yup. Yoga is at 4:00pm!

Now...I thought I was going to have to WASH the car. What he really wanted me to do was drive my car there, so that he wouldn't have to make multiple trips. He took care of all the washing, drying, tire shining, etc. Do note that I DID ask where the towels were so I could dry the car off, but he declined my help.

So, I felt semi-bad about the 90 minute yoga class I was taking him to.

Here's what CFYC's website says about their power yoga classes:

"Each Power Yoga class is suitable for ALL LEVELS and all classes are taught in a heated room.

The style of yoga that we teach is called Baptiste Power Vinyasa Yoga.

This powerful, energetic, flowing class has a strong emphasis on breath and allows beginners, intermediate and advanced students to be challenged in the same class.

The room is heated to help cleanse the body and warm the muscles.

90 Min Power Flow
The full Baron Baptiste Sequence, this 90 min class is guaranteed to take you to your edge."


It says all levels. And I've taken him to yoga before, so I figured he'd be fine.

First of all, he had on TOO MUCH CLOTHING. He had on an under armor top and then a basketball jersey type top over that. I said, "babe, it's going to be 90+ degrees - you got on too much!" He said he would be fine. Second, I kept trying to tell him to hydrate before class. He was drinking coffee. Sigh.

We got to class and set up our mats. He was joking with one of the other students that he was going to spend 89 of the 90 minutes in child's pose (that's the pose they tell you to go to if you feel overwhelmed or you just need a break). But I know how he is, and although they tell you to leave it outside the door, ego is a powerful thing.

We started class in child's pose, went into down dog, high push up...all moving relatively slowly and working on waking up the body.

Then the sun salutations started.

I thought I was going to lose him then. It's a sequence that moves pretty fast, but the teacher will always tell you to move with your own breath. If you're not used to it, you really won't keep up with her commands. Bless his heart, he was trying. I saw the sweat rolling off of his brow and soaking his shirt. After a few salutations, he took off the basketball jersey. I stifled a giggle.

Diane, the teacher, came over and helped him a few times with some adjustments. Watching him in Warrior 1 and 2 reminded me of when I first started out last year. Due to my knee issues I would not bend very deep. She acknowledged that that was his body, and she never forced him into anything.

I think it was about 45 minutes in when HH went missing in action. I looked over and he wasn't on the mat. I thought maybe he went to get some water, or he just needed a break from the temps. I was going to give him a few minutes before I went after him.

Luckily, I didn't have to chase him down. He came back in as we got to our standing sequence. Eagle, dancer, tree...all poses requiring you to balance on one leg. He actually did pretty well. I know during our flow sequence, Diane took us into crow 3 times. I really wish I could have seen him, but the pose requires balance and looking straight ahead. I told him he could keep his feet on the mat, but I don't know if he did it.

Towards the end of the stretching sequence, Diane took us into frog pose. For those of you who aren't familiar with yoga, THIS is frog pose:



First, he wanted to switch mats with me. I thought he wanted to do frog pose up against the wall...but later he said, "I didn't want that lady's azz in my face!" - referring to the person to the right of his mat. I was like, that's yoga - sometimes we occupy the same space! He wasn't trying to hear it. LOL!

After 5 minutes in that pose, he told me that I'm in time out until Wednesday. Clearly NOT happy with me! LOL!

Needless to say, I think he was super duper happy when we hit savasana. All the ladies were joking with him and asking him if he'd be back the next day. Poor thing. He just looked like he wanted to side eye everyone.

On the way home, in the middle of the silence he says, "I'm over here feeling like Marvin Sapp..." and starts singing "Never Would Have Made It." LOL!! Dramatic, much? I fell out laughing over the steering wheel.

I'm so proud of him, though! And today he said he felt ok. But I think that's his last foray into 90 minute power classes.

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

BAHAHAHAH y'all are HILARIOUS lol

MzInspiredMind81 said...

LMBOoooooooooooo!!! I giggled thru the entire post but when I got to him feeling like Marvin Sapp...I almost lost it laughing so hard. I can already tell that the Cohabitation Chronicles are going to be some of my absolute fav posts! LOL

Unknown said...

Hi! I went to my first--and last--hot yoga class. It was just too hot for me! I actually feel bad for HH. This is sort of funny, but probably quite miserable, if I remember the experience accurately, too.

:-) Marion

Monique said...

Yall are cracking me up. Poor man! LOL

BK said...

I have tears streaming down my face!!!! HH is a good damn sport!!! Lawd I actually heard him say I don't want that woman's arse in my face!!!!

OMG don't do that to him anymore!!!! bwaaahahahaaaa

Single Ma said...

LMAO!! He has my sympathy because I understand. I did a hot yoga or something like that and barely made it through 60 min. Man, listen...60 min is torture when the temps are set to FIRE!! *faint* So if he survived 90 min, I understand his pain and I think the song was very fitting. LOL! You should be in time out for a month. Poor HH.

Christie Loves Beauty said...

Woo! Lawd, that's funny!

I wouldn't be caught dead in a yoga class now. I still got winter feet. Not a good look.

Marilie said...

At this point, I just try to keep the toenails trimmed and the heels soft. I haven't had a pedicure in a minute. LOL!